Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Changes

WOW!! The school system/elementary school has implemented several changes for the students this new school year. Even though Grace won't be there, I am still really excited. The changes that I'm referring to are directly related from several of the problems that I contacted Frankfort and the local school board about (is anybody surprised that I received zero replies to my repeated emails and calls?, lol).

Does this mean my reform attempts had any effects? Does this mean that other parents should step up and fight for their child/children? Heck yeah to both questions. To be fair, I'm sure the proper authorities would be quick to insist that these changes were already scheduled to be effected this school year. Um. Yeah. Right. I think I'll still go with my claiming-the-credit thing, that makes more sense.

1. Agendas are being utilized in a more effecient manner. Classroom assignments are being written down and, I'm going to assume, that parents are getting teacher notes if appropriate.

2. Kids are staying in the classroom with their teacher instead of going to several different places to several different teachers each day. What were they doing? What were their assignments? Why no homework? No matter who I talked to I was given the impression that those issues were need to know only and the parents didn't need to know.

3. At least in 1 case, the adults are in charge of the clipboard instead of the children. The children were using the clipboard as a means of showing favoritism to friends and getting revenge on "unfriends" the last few years. Ahem, I mean to say that students were encouraged to remember that they would be held accountable for their actions by being written up by a student that was "in charge" but not held accountable for his/her actions.

4. Some of the classrooms are testing the childrens reading/math/spelling levels and placing them in corresponding groups accordingly. I like this idea because the children will be taught on the level that is best for them. Before, the kids were taught on the lowest level in the classroom which resulted in bored upper levels and lower levels that were consistently frustrated by trying to attain the higher levels too quickly in an effort to have all the students on the same page.

Why is all this exciting? Because it shows that change is possible in the school system without a lawsuit (you bet I was ready, willing and able to go that route!!!). Report the problems folks... don't take it to the principal and assume that the issue is resolved. Take it to the next level (school board) and then to the next (Frankfort). I'm sure my name is written in big red letters in a LOT of departments now but, hey, I'm totally o.k. with that.

I encourage anyone interested in homeschooling to check into it. There is a lot of information available and plenty of people willing to help get you started. I've heard from families near and far, some through Facebook (how cool is that?), and have gotten so much help, ideas and encouragement from all of them. It's awesome!!

Let me know if you have questions.

P.S. Sorry I haven't gotten all the bugs worked out.. still not quite a blogger yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment